Thursday, May 7, 2009

Week 1 EOC What I think of Lawyers

I have nothing against lawyers. In fact, I thank God for experienced lawyers who are there for us when we need them. Someone recently said to me that “all lawyers are liars.” I disagree. Admittedly, some lawyers do lie; but the majority of lawyers, I think, are honest. The legal profession is a harsh environment, and lawyers know the system better than anyone, so we are wise to seek their help in time of legal trouble.
The legal profession is a tough business and I don't envy the lawyers who are paid to handle people's problems. It gets ugly. If the world was a loving place and everyone did the right thing, then there wouldn't be a need for lawyers. They earn their money. Thank God for the experienced lawyers who are there when we need them, who understand the law, and do their job well?
I cannot even think how it would be to know that you had to help get a rapist off for raping children. Or knowing your client is not guilty of murder but the jury finds him guilty any way and sentences him to death. Or when you are representing a client that you know is a dirt bag of a father but he has more money than is about to be ex wife so he get the kids cause she has a no lawyer and he does.
Nerveless I do think that they should lower the prices and do more pro bono work. I know when I was trying to find a lawyer to take a case for me most everyone I called waited between $150.00 to $200.00 to sit down and talk with them for any hour. I ended up going with a friend of my mom’s that does not do civil law he does medial review cases. It turned out ok but is sure it would have been better if I would have had a civil attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment